Sunday, November 30, 2008

Spiritual Sunday

I'm an anxious person. I think it runs in the family.

I have been prone to panic attacks and irrational thoughts and fears. Last November, when I was told I needed to start chemotherapy pills because my eye issues were so threatening, life came crashing down on me. I was sick, in pain, weak - I felt awful. I was devastated. I was told I had to wait to have more kids, couldn't be around people who were sick because my immune system would be down and I would be tired and sick for at least the next two years. Well, it's been one year of that two year span and God has been with me. I'm doing very well. He's kept me healthy and for the most part, my eyes are doing much better. I still have to take the medication until I'm 100% - which I pray is soon! We're looking at about another year.

I haven't asked God "why?" or gotten angry with him. This is life. But I have taken one Scripture that my brother texted me, and during my darkest times, I read it over and over and over. 

I have never felt so much peace from a Bible verse. I hope, wherever you are, that you find comfort and peace in it as well.

Philippians 4:4-11
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again - rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me [Paul, author] - everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.

When you're feeling like you can't cope, and your mind starts to wander to all of the "what ifs." Read this - over and over. Find those pure and lovely thoughts and focus on them; and you know what you get when you do that? THE GOD OF PEACE! *Sigh* It's all I need.







2 comments:

  1. Melissa
    I feel for you in your anxiety moments as I like to call them. I suffered from severe anxiety - I was medicated. It got even worse when my brother died unexpectedly 7 yrs ago. However, I hated taking the meds, I didn't like what it did to my personality. I have repeated this Bible verse over and over. I am glad to hear it brings peace to another. I have since stopped all my meds, I mediate more and try to do yoga whenever I have a spare moment. My chiropractor has helped me with this as well. Don't get me wrong I still have those moments from time to time - but I stop and pray so that I can get a grip. May peace and calmness be with you always.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good verse. I need to have more quiet time to myself - It scares me to be alone with my thoughts!! Thank you for the advice and encouragement Michele!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts