Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday


What a day to be Thankful. It's hard not to say I'm thankful for my family this year. I just love them so much. 

On Tuesday night I was putting Hannah to bed and something must have triggered her to think about her crib and how we used to put all of her many blankets on one at a time by naming them. She asked where her "other" bed was as well as the flower blanket (which was part of her crib set).

I explained to her that we put the crib away to give her this awesome big girl bed that used to be mommy's.

She asked "What's gonna happen to that bed?"

I told her that someday she was going to have a baby brother or sister who would need to use that crib. You see, right now we've been forced to put our "family planning" on hold because of the chemotherapy medicine I have to take for about another year. We've really done very well emotionally with the idea of waiting to add to our family, but I can't help but think about it sometimes. Not, in a sad way, but just day dreaming - like you do when you're a kid.

All of this going through my head, Hannah breaks into my thoughts with, "What's it gonna be? A brother or sister?" After going into my "whatever God gives us" speech, Hannah says, "I want a sister." Me too :) She asked about what we'd name the baby if it was a boy or a girl and repeated those names over and over (and even suggested Angela if it was a girl - so cute).

Hannah will do whatever it takes to stay up a little longer at bedtime. She knows when she's got my attention and will go with it. But once we talked for a while, I told her it was time for bed. She looked at me and said in that squeaky little voice, "And they all lived happily ever after." 

And it's true. I am living in my happily ever after. 

Life has its sadness, its mistakes, its flaws...that stuff that messes up your plans - like having to wait for another baby - or whatever it is you face. But God blesses us more than I can even fathom. I am so grateful for the husband and daughter he's given me. I don't deserve them or any of our family members or friends. I don't deserve anything, but I am so thankful today that God doesn't give me what I deserve, but loves me more than I'll ever know.

Find something to be thankful about today. If you look hard enough, I guarantee your list won't be contained to one sheet of paper.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts