Saturday, December 6, 2008

Scrumptious Saturday

I'm making these awesome cookies for a party today. They have the cheesecake taste without the expense of 8 blocks of cream cheese! It's also simple and most of the ingredients are things you have on hand! I almost never bring any home, and always get lots of comments.

I'm giving you the recipe with my adaptations. The original recipe is from Taste of Home: Grandma's Great Desserts.

CRUNCHY CHEESECAKE BARS

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (sometimes I throw a little more in)
6 tablespoons of butter
1 pkg, 8oz cream cheese softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I add a bit more since the original recipe also calls for lemon juice)
3/4 chopped nuts (I never have them, so I never use them in the recipe)

In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. (I end up using my hands!) Set aside 1/2 cup for topping; press remaining crumbs into bottom of ungreased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake crust at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Spread over baked crust. Combine nuts  (if you're using them) with reserved crumbs and sprinkle over cream cheese mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes more or until done. Cool in pan on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts