Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Grandma Dolly

I'm thankful for the woman in this picture. This is Matt's grandma, Dolly. She's feeling pretty sick right now and it's just impossible not to look back on the long life she's had and all of the lives she's impacted.

It's certainly not easy to age, and it scares me to death, but I've known this woman for ten years and she is another grandmother to me. Grandma Dolly has always had a huge impact on everyone she meets. I know Matt just adores her. She's been such a special part of his life. She makes THE best cinnamon jumble cookies and I know Matt's favorite game to play with her as a child was "hide the quarter." She's always treated me like another grandchild...her nickname for me is Molasses.  Ha.

Anyhow, she looked pretty bad last night, so after church we went to see her. It was sad to see her unresponsive. It was sad to say goodbye just in case it was the last time we saw her. This morning she seems to have rallied a bit. Not sure if that means they'll still call in hospice or not.

As a parent it's hard to know what to do with Hannah in these situations. Matt and I are kind of letting her lead. I tried to prep her a little bit, but how much of that can you really do? She did really well and went over to stand near Grandma Dolly and tried to sit next to  her on her bed a couple times. They have such a cute relationship. Hannah always climbs onto  her bed with her and loves to share her Cheerios with her great-grandma. Grandma Dolly even lets Hannah feed her. Anything for her Hannah.

So, today I'm thankful for a woman who is absolutely hilarious, vibrant and special. We love you grandma Dolly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts