Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spiritual Sunday - Stress

Hannah has a bit of a cough this morning, so we're going to attempt to keep her with us upstairs during service. I have a feeling we'll be leaving early.

Today I'm thinking about stress. Stress and anxiety is not of God yet we all struggle with this. Sometimes, it helps me to remember that all this burden is NOT what he's intended for me. In fact, I believe the devil uses stress and anxiety to take our eyes off of God and our focus off of the goal; not to mention is makes us ill with a multitude of physical ailments. I feel like if I know my stress and anxiety is the devil trying to attack, I can fight, because I know God wants good for me.

He says in Matthew 11:28-30:

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company wiht me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.

OH YES. That's The Message version and isn't it fabulous? Isn't it like Jesus is inviting you on some sort of resort-type vacation?? Free plane tickets, free food, safe sun. Ahhhh! How do we do it though? It seems like we have to be so disciplined to get to this point. Or, maybe that's what he's trying to tell us. "Just HANG OUT WITH ME. Don't waste your time TRYING TO GET TO HEAVEN...just come to me and chill out. I'm SO EASY to be around. You'll really feel relaxed when we're done spending time together." Is that what he's saying? (Just to be sure - those last set of quotes are my words.) It seems like that's what he's saying to me. 

"Just breathe me in. Feel my presence. I've got it all under control. You won't know what spa treatment hit you when I'm done with you."  - my words again

Ok God, I'll take it...or give it...or whatever...just help me receive what you have to offer.

Do any of you find it hard to grasp this concept as much as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts