Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spiritual Sunday - The Holy Sprit

Lately we've been really talking about the Holy Spirit around here. 

You know, it's kind of a touchy subject because people are so freaked out by the "speaking in tongues" thing.

The frustrating part about that is, being filled with the Holy Spirit is so NOT about speaking in tongues. It's about being so consumed by God that you are empowered to be who he wants you to be and do what he wants you to do.

Speaking in tongues does happen as a result of being filled with the Spirit, but do you NEED it to go to heaven? No! Is it some badge of spiritual achievement? Absolutely NOT. We're way too focused on the weirdness of it all instead of being focused on our desire to be where God wants us to be, closer to him than we can ever imagine, and EMPOWERED to do amazing thing things that are WAY beyond our imagination.

I need to be filled constantly. I need refreshed constantly. I need God to remind me I can do this - and then ENABLE me to do it. Do I seek him out enough, no.

I will say this personally speaking though. There's no way I'd be doing what I'm doing without the help of the Holy Spirit.

Since I've really dived into to following God, He's equipped me to teach myself how to play the piano, lead worship, and now my unsanctioned nickname is the JUNIOR HIGH PASTOR??? 

Am I out of my comfort zone??? BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS, YES! I really do hate that title. I'm not a pastor and I'm not a preacher. I like to think of myself as the teacher and facilitator of the junior highers. Pastor Donnie says he doesn't care what I call myself as long as I don't quit. :)

The junior high students are so eager to learn, it's easy. But, every week I'm nervous and studying so I don't have to use notes, and DESPERATE for them to have a deep and lasting relationship with Christ NOW so that when they get to high school, they have the HOLY SPIRIT helping them fight off the UGLINESS of adolescence. 

Do I deserve something special? No, because I am a useless, chocolate eating pile of poo. Without the Holy Spirit I AM NOTHING.

So, what's the point of today's blog.

Stop thinking about "tongues" and start thinking about how close you can actually get to God. He'll take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts