Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tips and Hints Tuesday - Read a Book

Are you a reader?

Do you HATE reading?

Are you a magazine/newspaper person?

Well, I've always been a reader. When I was a kid, I read everything I could get my hands on! 

As adults we often lose track of things we love as a child. There's no time to sit and get lost in a book, is there? And now, the stuff we're "supposed" to read includes titles like "Financial Peace," "The Life You've Always Wanted," and my personal favorite, "Who Moved My Cheese?"

No wonder people say they hate reading. Not that these books aren't awesome and best sellers, but they're surely not going to bring you into the exciting realm of another world! Since the Twilight series, I feel like I kid again...I could just read all the time. Sometimes I have to put some space between the books I read because my family would never be able to interact with me!

I recently read "The Host." Stephenie Meyer is the same author of the Twilight series and though very different, this book is equally engaging. I'm wondering what will be my next adventure.

We all know that reading to kids is imperative for academic success, creative play and many other things, but what about us old farts? 

According to Focus on the Family, research shows that people who read frequently are:

Write and concentrate better

See subtleties easier

Are more likely to be successful and fulfilled in their adult life

Have multiple interests in a variety of subjects

Are more empathetic toward people's feelings

Are more flexible and open to new ideas

These are just to name a few of course!

Does anyone have any suggestions on new books to read?? I'm looking!

TODAY'S TIP: READ SOMETHING FUN!

3 comments:

  1. we as a staff are going to be reading andy stanley's "the principle of the path" this summer.. you might enjoy picking up a copy of that also..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from the library with three "beach read" books. I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read "Princess of the
    Midnight Ball" and liked it. I had to read a princess book to get me ready for Princess Camp. I also love reading anything by Ann Rinaldi. She writes young adult books, historical fiction. That's what I love.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts