Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Calcium

I've mentioned before that Hannah can't handle dairy or too much protein because it bothers her stomach.

So she drinks almond milk that is fortified with calcium and vitamin D and takes a multivitamin. I was stunned to realize that her multi does NOT have calcium in it. That concerns me!

Calcium is important for healthy teeth and bones. I've always been a milk fanatic and I believe that's why I have very healthy teeth and have never broken a bone! It's good for you. 

But, now I'm worried about my daughter. I bought some Activia yogurt and I'm going to see if she can tolerate it in moderation. I hesitate to buy a calcium supplement in fear that it'll constipate her.

A child ages 4-8 should have 800mg per day.

Adults should have 1000mg per day.

An 8oz glass of milk has about 30% of an adults daily requirement of calcium.

If your child doesn't like milk, here are some other foods that are high in calcium.

Fortified OJ
Salmon
Fortified Cereals
Spinach
Tofu
Corn and Flour Tortillas
Broccoli
Bread

Take care of yourself! Calcium is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts