Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - A healthy breakfast

I may have blogged about this before, but not since I completed this item on my to-do list.

My wonderful husband is always exhausted during his work day. He will never take the time to sit and eat a healthy breakfast in the morning because he'd rather sleep those minutes away and run out the door with a Poptart or granola bar. He won't even do a bowl of cereal (he hates my Kashi anyway) or oatmeal. 

(As I talk about a healthy breakfast, it's 11:30 at night and I just had to pause to eat a mini cupcake - Hey no one's perfect!)

So, I decided he needed some protein for breakfast and something MUCH more substantial than a little 100 calorie sugar laden chocolate chip Quaker granola bar in the morning! So, I had the WONDERFUL idea of making and freezing breakfast sandwiches so all he'd have to do is pull one out of the freezer, toss it in the microwave and be out the door with his hearty, healthy breakfast!

I wasn't sure how the details would work but I decided to try it. 

I bought:
6 whole wheat English muffins
6 eggs
6 slices of cheese
deli ham

I scrambled and seasoned the eggs, and while they were cooking I assembled the sandwiches. Once the eggs were cooled I added them, wrapped the sandwich in a napkin, tossed it into a sandwich bag and then a large tupperware container. This went into the freezer. 

When Matt gets up he pulls the sandwich out, tosses it in the microwave in the napkin for one minute on half power I believe, and he's out the door, napkin is already attached! 

He said they were awesome!! 

Now that I know this is doable, we're going to slowly make some changes to see if they're tolerable. These were Matt's ideas!

instead of 6 eggs - 3 eggs/the other half egg substitute or whites
instead of ham - canadian bacon (he's not really a fan). I just don't think turkey bacon will freeze well.
cheese - half a slice per sandwich 

You can imagine how these changes would cut calories but still have the same great taste. I didn't want to start off with this for fear that the whole thing would be a bust, but now that I know it works with the good stuff, we can start cutting the fat. This really saves time in the morning and only took me a half hour at most to do all six sandwiches. He has noticed a difference in his energy level throughout the day!

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People who eat it, weigh less!


2 comments:

  1. Or you could be like me and eat a bagel with egg, bacon, pepperoni, and ham for breakfast =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have those little glass dessert cups made by Pyrex? Do you have any mini rameken-type cups? If you coat them with cooking spray you can whip the whole egg right in the cup and then either bake them in an oven or put them in the microwave on 'high'. Then they're round and perfectly shaped for the english muffin. They make breakfast sausage patties that are delicious on the sandwiches as well!

    ps. this is smitten119 from CM

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts