Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Stress

How are you feeling lately?

Are you somebody who feels stress on a regular basis?

I knew that I connected too much with the topic when my preschool aged daughter started asking me if/why I was "dressed out."

At stress.org a list of 50 possible symptoms of stress are listed. Do you find yourself in any of these listed below? I'm going to encourage you to to take a minute to reflect on how your body reacts to stress.

  • Frequent headaches
  • Gritting teeth
  • Chest Pain/Palpitations
  • Constipation, Diarrhea
  • Increased anger, frustration
  • Depression, mood swings
  • Increased or decreased appetite
  • Frequent crying spells
  • Forgetfulness, disorganization
  • Social withdrawal
  • Constant Tiredness, fatigue

I'm a high-stress individual. The last two weeks have been some of the highest stress days I can remember. I've been hit from every angle and sometimes, that just stinks. What do you do?

Maybe some of these things are logical but, I'm here to remind you, because I care about my readers. Sometimes we need a little push!

So here are some things you can do to calm down:
  • In order to reduce stress TRY to prevent it.
  • Get enough sleep
  • Eat healthy
  • Avoid too much caffeine
  • Journal
  • Spend time meditating, in prayer, reading your Bible - connecting with God in general
  • EXERCISE - I just can't "stress" it enough, it WILL relax you
  • Get lost in a good book (Twilight maybe? :)
  • Build in "me" time...the dishes will be there tomorrow
  • Focus on your breathing - I never realized how often I hold my breath when I'm stressed out!
  • Eat just a little bit of chocolate (or a lot, depending on the day) - Chocolate is a proven mood booster! The darker, the better!
School is starting again, summer's ending, finances, marriages, housework, meal cooking, work, busy schedules, TOO MUCH TO DO!

It's time to relax now...take five and go to your happy place! I hope you can de-stress today!

1 comment:

  1. Fitting post for me! I went to the dentist last Wednesday with pain and he told me its from grinding and clenching my teeth while I sleep. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts