Friday, September 25, 2009

Family Friday - A Love Too Big

A mother's mind is a FRIGHTENING place to be sometimes. At least I hope it's not just my mind that's so scary!

Sometimes I get myself into a complete panic...Like right now...just about to fall asleep and get smacked with a fear of something happening to my little baby.

Would God let that happen??

Is my fear Him telling me something's going to happen??

Obviously this is not true, because God doesn't work like this. The Bible says clearly that fear and God's love do not go together.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self discipline.

FEAR IS NOT OF GOD. I'm not a "the devil has a foothold" type person, but this is where I feel like he drags me down. Being aware of that and reminding myself what God says is comforting to me - even though I'm fighting right now even as I type this. I don't want to be controlled by fear!

Please, if you're a mom, tell me I'm not alone! I go around in circles trying to rationalize things and I can't. It's an issue of lack of control!

I've been feeling it all around lately from:

...wondering how long my eyes will stay healthy...

...fearing getting on an airplane

...and now the worst, I just can't even type it... a mother's worst fear. (I probably should not write blog entries during a panic attack...)

So, that said - I don't have a pretty closing statement because my stomach is in knots and it's 1am, but I do know this. God loves me and he loves my baby even more than I do and when we ask God for His protection, He gives it!

I leave you with my favorite and most comforting verse, as right now (and always), Scripture speaks so much better than I can.

Philippians 4:6-7 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



3 comments:

  1. I am definitely with ya, Melissa!!! I think of things to fear that don't even exsist! We discussed this a bit at small group on Wednesday night. I shared that while the logical part of my brain knows the fear is NOT of God and we cannot parent our children out of fear....the anxious (and powerful) side of my brain kept shouting "But, if you don't worry about this stuff who will? No one. That's who. And one of your kids will have something horrible happen to them because you didn't protect them!" Wow! How's that for a blog confession?

    I truly am working on it and getting better. Relying on God more and myself less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's almost as if I tell myself (I don't know if this is how you feel as well) if I let it go and let God handle it, I'm accepting that the irrational fear will indeed happen...As if that's what God wants! As if He doesn't know what he's doing better than I do!! - Because the power of my thinking causes things to/not to happen. HA! Thank God that's not true and He's still faithful when I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm right there with you Melissa. A daily struggle for sure. I can relate to the "if I let it go, then it just might happen" comment too. We're all in this together too - it's comforting to know that.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts