Friday, September 18, 2009

Family Friday

If you're a working parent, you know how hard it is to balance motherhood, housework, meal prep AND a career. I am so guilty of neglecting playtime with Hannah when things get out of control.

If you're able to get a handle on the clutter in the house, you'll be able to relax and play! Your kids will be better behaved and you will be happier.

For the last week or two I have not yelled (except once when Hannah turned on the paper shredder at the office YIKES!). I have refused to raise my voice or even sound irritated. (You can look at last Tuesday's post about the "ear tug" which I only use sometimes now because it's served its purpose). Now, for those of you who know me personally, you know that's more than a mild feat! I just can't believe how much this has changed Hannah's behavior! She is a high strung child. She does not respond well to yelling or irritation - but neither do I! So, I just try to remind myself that, when she does something wrong, it is my job to TEACH her how she should act not to yell and scream at her because I'm irritated. In fact, it doesn't even matter how I feel; it matters that she is learning...and what teacher teaches by screaming and spanking?? (We have been using time out...Those first few days time out was around A LOT!)

As a result, I have a child who is not whining, complaining, or arguing. She takes "no" for an answer and obeys when she's told to do something....Aaaaaahhhh, so lovely. It makes it so enjoyable to spend time and play with her!

I wonder how long it'll last.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome news w/Hannah. It is so hard not to yell or become irritated, but being calm does work. it is just hard to do ALL of the time, or even MOST of the time!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts