Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tips and Hints Tuesday - An alternative to salad dressing

I love salads.

I love to put anything and everything on salads...fruit, beans, cheese, eggs...anything.

But, it has been said, although people think they're eating healthy when downing a salad for lunch, in reality one study says that with all the "extras" we pile on our salad, the caloric intake rivals that of a BIG MAC!!!

Even salad dressing kills us. Who puts the recommended two tablespoon serving size on their salad?? It's probably more like 1/4 cup right?? Measure it out next time! It 2 tbsp of the average salad dressing there is about 150 calories and 16 grams of fat!

I bought the dressing you spray onto your salad...serving size is 10 sprays...I put at least 30 on!

Well, maybe this is just the italian in me and the rest of you will think this is gross, but I LOVE spaghetti sauce on my salads instead of dressing. I have been guilty of using it in addition to dressing too, but I'm watching my calories and it's really good! There's virtually no fat and few calories in tomato sauce and most are very healthy for you. The lycopene in tomatoes, which is thought to reduce the risk of certain cancers, is made more potent when cooked into a sauce.

Give it a shot. I like to warm the sauce up before putting on my salad because it makes it feel like more of a meal, but whatever floats your boat!!

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts