Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Food Doesn't Have to Change - You do.

Here's something I'm beginning to realize.

Everyone wants to know how to make healthy food taste like the unhealthy food.

Today I want to propose a new idea to you.

How can we make the unhealthy food taste bad to us and the healthy stuff taste delicious without trying to make it taste exactly like it's evil twin!?

To further explain my point - We THINK those fast food fries taste oh so good but let me challenge you to stop eating them for a while. I can all but guarantee the next time you eat them you'll feel an icky greasy feeling on your lips and a sickening feeling in your stomach.

If you're not eating any healthy food, you won't necessarily love it right away.

If you stop eating greasy food for an extended period of time, it just doesn't seem as appealing after a while.

The more you treat your body to vitamin and antioxidant enriched foods, the more your body will crave those foods.

The more you eat whole grains/whole wheat, the more normal it'll taste to you.

Instead of saying "this healthy cookie just isn't as good as the full fat, butter and sugar laden cookie", keep making those healthy cookies for your dessert. Eventually your mind will begin to receive those cookies as dessert. Here's the difference: if you make a cookie recipe like the one I posted last Saturday, you'll be putting antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and fruits into your body instead of saturated artery clogging fats and refined sugars.

We need to train our bodies to accept the good stuff and stop trying to make the good stuff taste like bad stuff! Get it??

10 comments:

  1. You're still trying to put those antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and fruits into the form of a cookie, though. Why not just eat some fruit? Or stop making your body expect dessert at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, don't call it a cookie then...call it a fruit bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what you call it, you're still trying to put "healthy" ingredients into a cookie. I mean, if you're not trying to make something "good" taste like something "bad," why are there chocolate chips in there? They don't have any nutritional value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark chocolate has a lot of nutritional value - antioxidants. It's unrealistic to think no one is ever going to want to have something sweet again. My point isn't to start an argument, my point is to encourage people to try to get used to the taste of fresh and healthy ingredients as opposed to unhealthy ones. It seems as though you want to pick my blog apart instead of just recognizing the basic point. I appreciate your posting, but I don't believe you're getting my point. You're welcome to disagree - but luckily this is my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always try to find new ways to make our favorites a little healthier. Why not??? If I can get a little extra fiber here and more vitamins there, whats the harm? If my kids enjoy a cookie that I make with whole wheat and applesauce...THAT'S AWESOME! It's kinda like when I make mini pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Pumpkin is sooo good for you, but that little bit of sweetness from the semi sweet chocolate chips make it fun for the kids :) and me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. About 10 years ago, I stopped drinking pop of any kind. Very quickly, it became impossible to even sip a can of pop. Yuck!!!!

    So, I agree with you. You can train your body!...or is it your brain? Again, your body does not need man made sugar or preservatives...it just likes them. If you give your body what it needs, you'll crave the other stuff less.

    My kids ask me if certain foods have "God sugar" in it! If I say "yes", they know it's a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing wrong with making good foods taste like the bad ones. I'm simply saying (AGAIN) that people need to get used to the taste of healthy foods. I don't really think I'm disagreeing with what you're saying. My blog is my happy place. Differing opinions welcome, anonymous comments, fake names, and arguments, are not :)

    Rachel, that's awesome!! I think pop is disgusting!

    That's cute - "God sugar!" Way to get your kids on the right path so young! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melis, you are so right. Your body feeds off of what you give it. As a matter of fact, so does your mind and spirit. Those healthy chocolate snacks are very good. It is such a tasty way to get EXTRA fruit into my diet. Who says a little treat for your taste buds has to be bad for you? I used to hate dark chocolate, but now I like it so much better than regular milk chocolate. Which is good because it lowers blood pressure and cholesterol! Also, I agree with Rachel. Once you stop drinking pop it isn't even good anymore. How did I used to drink that stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts