Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Over-The-Hump-Day Slump

Ever get into a funk?

Sometimes we get into ruts and it feels like there's no way out.

Our country is overloaded with anti-depressants as doctors will toss them at anyone is having a bad day.

So what are some natural things you can do to boost your mood?

For me personally - exercise, chocolate, doing something I enjoy like scrap booking, and time with friends really help (although when I'm feeling down I usually don't want to be around anyone!) Taking deep breaths has also made a difference for me. It sounds silly, but over time I've realized that I often hold my breath when I'm stressing. Regularly breathing deeply really helps (yoga and pilates are good for this.)

Let's take a look at some alternative medicine recommendations for beating the blues.

1. Go for a walk.

Walking is a mood booster AND It burns fat and calories! Try a pedometer or just going for a 10 minute walk around the block on your lunch break. Start small.

2. Get more sleep.

Lack of sleep can make you cranky. Make your bedroom a place you ENJOY being and try to move your bedtime up just 30 minutes.

3. De-Clutter

You can't relax in an environment that screams stress. This is a big one. Pick a clutter spot and work on it for 15 minutes a day until it's done. Set a timer. You can do anything for 15 minutes!

4. Listen to some uplifting music that you enjoy

5. Try aroma therapy

They say lavender is very comforting (I can't stand it). If you enjoy it, it's worth a shot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts