Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Swine Flu Vaccine

I posted last week about Hannah's 4 year well visit.

She received all of her vaccines and had some lovely side effects. She spent the whole weekend with a drippy nose (from the nasal flu vaccine) and a fever (tetanus shot) and a hot, red, swollen arm. My poor baby.

It's no secret that I'm interested in natural medicine. I also feel like I have a very balanced view of the medical community. I believe modern medicine and natural medicine need to WORK TOGETHER. I think I might be the only one who rides the fence, but you're looking at a girl who is taking chemo pills for an autoimmune disease (not for much longer though!) AND who sees a nutritionist. These two things together along with the grace of God have progressed my health VERY quickly...WHEN USED TOGETHER.

That said, I don't think we'll be giving Hannah the H1N1 Vaccine that will be released later this fall. I am pro vaccination. I will vaccinate my next kid as I have vaccinated and will continue to vaccinate Hannah HOWEVER, this vaccine is BRAND NEW. I refuse to let them test it on my child.

I feel as though I am well informed of the risks associated with the vaccines that children are given today. Over many years of being administered I believe the benefits outweigh the risk (though I'm not looking for a pro/anti vaccination argument). This vaccine hasn't been given to anyone yet and they're going to try it out on my little peanut? No.

Hannah's pediatrician did not push me to get the vaccine when I expressed concern. She said that the vaccine is being pushed because there's panic that the strains of the flu will be more severe as it passes from person to person. There is also fear because the swine flu did not stop infecting during the summer as influenza does. She believes, as do I, that the virus is similar to the regular flu. Most people recover quickly, but in large numbers, you're going to see severe cases sometimes.

We don't make the decision lightly and I hope it's the right one. I suppose for now, the only thing I know for sure is that we at least will wait a significant amount of time before considering it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally on the same page with you on this. I'm all for vaccines...especially after the kids' doctor said to me "We can't be certain about what causes autism...but we can be certain that if we stop vaccinating, kids will get polo, etc." Yikes! But, I have said no to "new" vaccines, too! We're all about balance between natural remedies and necessary medical practices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my daughter get every vaccine, but I felt totally against them for my son. I was kicked out of my practice where I had taken my girl all her life because I refused them. I'm trusting God with the health of my son. It's all I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts