Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tips and Hints - Set a Timer 2nd Edition


I have mentioned before about setting  at timer to clean when you're lacking motivation.  Today I want to revisit that concept but from a different angle.

As I said last week, Tuesdays are my cleaning day. Hannah does not have school on Tuesdays so she's home with me. I have so much I do that I worry about neglecting my Hannah Banana. 

So, after I finish a task or a room or whatever, I announce Hannah Time and set the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off (which elicits a pouty lip from Hannah) it's back to work for me, but as soon as I finish my next task, it's Hannah Time again! 

So, when the day ended, Hannah and I:

Built two puzzles (Dora and Belle)
Drew pictures of ourselves next to Christmas trees with presents under them (she was a jet pilot in hers)
Worked on a Maze book
Played Ice Cream Shop (twice)
Read books
Played with Max, Ruby and Blues Room figurines 
Did a Bible devotional and practiced her memory verse

This doesn't include cuddle time or time when I take care of basic needs with her. 

Maybe this idea sounds so awful - like scheduling in your child...but for me, if I don't do it this way, I won't do it at all. How many of you can say that you spent two hours of playtime with your child engaging them in quality activities with you?? If you can say yes to that question, I admire you - but I believe most would answer no. 

Now I must note, I do not IGNORE Hannah when it's not "Hannah Time."  I'm just not actively playing with her. I'll set her up with toys in the room I'm working in, or have her help me clean or clip coupons. Hannah Time is when she picks what we do, and she has my undivided attention.

So, set a timer for a little while to play with your kids. If you include them as priorities on your list of to-dos for the day, you won't spend time thinking about what you COULD be doing when you're trying to play with them. It'll be there turn, and exactly what you're supposed to be doing at that moment. Give it a shot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts