Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tips and Hints Tuesday - Stay in one spot

Tuesdays are my big cleaning day.

I'm realizing why I can clean the entire day and get nothing done. I move ALL OVER THE PLACE. I'll get distracted by photographs, Hannah's school work, bills and the clutter wins yet again.

I also find that when I start in the kitchen I get discouraged and don't finish the rest of the house. I do not have a dishwasher and washing, drying, and putting away a sink-load takes at least 45 minutes. That doesn't count cleaning out the microwave, stove, or washing the floors! There's no TV to entertain me, and I want to quit.

So here's my advice for being productive when cleaning.

Start in a room that you can complete relatively quickly. For me, it's my bedroom.

If you find something in that room that belongs to another room, quickly place it in that room and walk RIGHT back. Do not get distracted by anything in that room or making sure the object you're bringing in there fits just right in a a specific place...set it down and walk out.

Stay in that first room until it's completed, even if the laundry basket in the hallway overflows, or the toys that your putting back into your child's room seem to be making her room more of a mess...focus on ONE room at a time.

You'll be amazed at how quickly that room gets done. This will increase your motivation and momentum. Have your garbage bag ready and don't be afraid to throw things away. I'll often keep a laundry basket at the top of the stairs and toss in off season clothes or really anything that belongs in the basement that's made it's way upstairs. That way I'm not making a million trips up and down the steps and getting sidetracked by the basement (which is another story!!)

1 comment:

  1. I JUST WISH I COULD HAVE SOMEONE ELSE CLEAN MY HOUSE!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts