Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Bedroom Sanctuary


According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and prevention, 50-70 million American adults suffer from sleep and wakefulness disorders. Only 1/3 of Americans say they're getting enough sleep.

While many different factors can contribute to a lack of sleep, I want to focus on one. Stress. Our days are filled to the brim with stuff to do. It's so difficult to find down time.

There's an idea I want to suggest to you today and that's to make your bedroom a sanctuary. So many of us have televisions and computers in our bedrooms, clothes on the floor, stuff all over the place and an unmade bed. Who can get comfortable in a space like that?? When your space is cluttered your mind is cluttered, and when your mind is cluttered, it's a lot harder to relax and go to sleep.

While one of my LEAST favorite rooms to have messy is the kitchen, the bedroom is the room I clean first. Why? Because it's so much easier to relax when I'm not tripping over things. It's so much nicer to cozy up in fresh sheets on a made bed. I didn't always feel this way! My husband is really the one who loves a made bed...I've learned to comply over the last 7 years! Maybe that sounds silly to you, but I promise you'll sleep better in a clean room!

So, just to prove to you I'm not nuts, I just took a random picture of our room. I didn't just run around and quickly clean it to prove my point to you. I DID straighten the blanket because Hannah was jumping around on our bed and messed them up (but I do that anyway). While our room is small and needs a few finishing decorating touches in the fashion sense, it's clean and uncluttered. It's not ALWAYS perfect, but I really try to keep it this way.

Get a good night sleep tonight! It's good for your health and wellness. Put some fresh sheets on your bed and GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM!

Happy Birthday to my "little" brother Ricky! He's 26 today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts