Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spiritual Sunday - Love Your Enemies Part 1

I always have a hard time reading people's blogs when they regard to spiritual things. I don't know if that is a character flaw in me or what. So, on Sundays, I'm very quick to skip my blog because I just assume that people won't read it. However, I made a connection between two biblical men today, and I really just want to share.

I think we all have people in our lives who annoy us. Just yesterday, I was feeling very snarky and cynical. I had this real irritation toward anyone who spoke to me. It was bothering me. I don't want to be like that. These are people I love - these are not people I would consider enemies or people who have the desire to do me harm.

Now, I know you can relate to this on a certain level: that person you work with, that obnoxious family member, maybe even an annoying friend. Or maybe you have someone in mind that you feel is truly out to get you. You find it hard not to bite back when they shoot daggers at you.

Well when you think about a man from Scripture "after God's own heart," who but David (aside from the whole Bathsheeba thing) would be better to model yourself after. King Saul thought David was pretty cool in the beginning, before he (Saul) went insane and all. Then it seemed as though his sole purpose was to end David's life. God was with David and put before him many opportunities that would have granted him Saul's life - one of which was when Saul was going  to the bathroom in a dark cave - talk about revenge! But, he chose not to. In one of multiple scenes in which Saul could have been handed over to David, Abishai whispers to David as they look upon Saul sleeping in his tent. That very morning Saul had plans to kill David himself.

"Let me thrust that spear through him. I'll pin him to the ground and I won't need to strike twice!"

"No!" David said. "Don't kill him. For who can remain innocent after attacking the Lord's anointed one? Surely the Lord will strike Saul down someday, or he will die in battle or of old age. But the Lord forbid that I should kill the one he has anointed!" 1 Samuel 26:8-11

David trusted that God was in control and would care for him and place judgement on Saul when HE saw fit.

How hard is that for us to do? We often take revenge or "getting back" or even a snide retaliation into our own hands. David spent much of the time fleeing from his enemies, but refused to lay a hand on God's anointed; someone he knew he was to respect and love. Live your day today with this attitude - even if that person you should respect doesn't deserve your respect. It's difficult, but remember what David subjected himself to in order to be honorable in the eyes of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts