Friday, March 12, 2010

Family Friday - Are you doing too much for your kids?


I often find (and am shocked when I do) that I do things for Hannah that she's totally capable of doing herself.

I think this is true for all kids - little and big.

Hannah's brain soaks up everything! When I tune into it, I'm amazed at how smart she is.

I didn't realize until a couple of months ago that she's capable of (and should developmentally be able to)  putting on her own coat and zipping it up.

She can read, make her own bed, put dishes away, and pour her own glass of milk, run the hand mixer all by herself, do fractions (measuring cups) and addition. I don't say this to boast, I say this because I'm shocked at what ALL little minds are capable of!

I also have to add: Last week she said to me, "Mom, do you know that your bum is your gluteus maximus?" What in the world??

Every kid is different, but today I want to encourage you to stop underestimating your child's abilities, no matter how young or old. Give them a little more responsibility and guide them through learning something new. They'll feel good and so will you!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a hard thing to do as a parent. We want to help them do everything! I find myself still wanting to do things for Ryan and he'll be 9 this month! You are a good mom and Hannah is living breathing proof of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with this on a daily basis because my urge "to just do it faster" takes over! If you think about what kids were responsible for doing years and years ago (think milking animals on farms or walking to markets) our kids have it pretty good...and can certainly zip their own jacket. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts