Friday, March 19, 2010

Family Friday - Consistency in Discipline.

Having a four and a half year old daughter, I frequently say that her behavior is like a roller coaster. She goes through up times and down times - like we all do. For weeks she'll be my sweet, obedient, polite little girl, and then faster than I realize what hit me, I've got defiant, angry, frustrated, rude little girl on my hands.

During the down times, it seems like nothing I'm doing is working. She'll refuse to go into time out and she has to have the last word - which Matt can't stand. I on the other hand let her have it, because I spent years having that as my goal in an argument (as my parents would confirm)!

We have levels of punishment of course. I feel like I tend to be stricter on Hannah than other people are with their kids, but I have a low tolerance for disobedience and disrespect. It is our job as parents to teach our children how to obey God. They learn that by learning how to obey their parents.

When she chooses to be defiant, Hannah will spend a lot of time in her room (as seen above).

Whatever discipline method you choose, stick with it. Even if it seems like it's not working, be consistent. Eventually, your child will get the point and understand that they will lose and the consequences will be enforced. Don't be wishy washy and don't go back on what you say you will do. Even the youngest kids see right through empty threats. Do not make threats your kids KNOW you won't keep. (i.e. "You will stay home while we all go to the park if you don't behave.") Your child knows you will not keep him home alone, so don't make threats you're not ready to enforce. Be ready to stick to your guns when you're child challenges you, even if it means you ALL stay home from the park.

Your discipline strategies will change and develop over time. Next week on Family Friday - we'll discuss discipline strategies.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am wishy washy. I am the queen of empty threats. I need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts