Monday, March 29, 2010

Money Monday - Planning Meals

Our grocery budget is out the window. We were done spending money 10 days ago with no food in the house. Needless to say, we'll go over.

We also just got hit with a $425 car inspection. Blech.

Oh well, such is life.

I want to talk to you today about meal planning. I know I've mentioned it before, but it's important if you want to keep your grocery budget down. You won't be buying random things at the grocery store.

Here's how I do it.

When I know that I'm going to need to go shopping, I get out my recipe stuff and my coupons. I have a zip up binder with a note pad and pockets in it for my coupons and my list. On the right side of my paper I write suggestions for dinners as well as breakfasts and lunches.

Then on the left side of my paper, I write down what I need to buy at the store.

Since I know what we'll be eating, I can clip coupons that I'll use or even search for some online at direct product sites. It's a fabulous money saver. Then, you don't go to the grocery store wandering around with other stuff on your mind. In that case, you end up throwing random groceries into the cart!

This is also helpful with children who distract you! It'll keep you on task and they can even cross items off of your list! It gets them involved.

What does the picture below have to do with this post? Not much. It's just cute and reminds me of summer! (Even though it was taken in the middle of winter - but in ORLANDO!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts