Yesterday - I had the opportunity to have a delightful lunch at Applebees at the Mills with my sister, 6 of my beautiful cousins, and 9 of our children. How often do you get to do stuff like that with extended family??? I'm glad we're still close. The pictures of my cousins below are 5 years old - but still cool.
On another note, I made my first "from scratch" cupcakes/cake. Had I not overfilled my cupcake tins (like I ALWAYS DO) they would have been perfect. After tasting them, Matt told me I'm not allowed to use a box mix anymore. I couldn't believe how EASY it was!
Here is the very simple recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (the original recipe calls for shortening - ick)
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add butter, milk, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter is thick.
- Add eggs and beat 30 seconds more.
- Bake in greased 9x13 pan for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
You can find the original recipe here.