Saturday, May 15, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday - Cake

Before I give you the recipe, I have to tell you a scrumptious story.

Yesterday - I had the opportunity to have a delightful lunch at Applebees at  the Mills with my sister,  6 of my beautiful cousins, and 9 of our children. How often do you get to do stuff like that with extended family??? I'm glad we're still close. The pictures of my cousins below are 5 years old - but still cool.

On another note, I made my first "from scratch" cupcakes/cake. Had I not overfilled my cupcake tins (like I ALWAYS DO) they would have been perfect. After tasting them, Matt told me I'm not allowed to use a box mix anymore. I couldn't believe how EASY it was!

Here is the very simple recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter (the original recipe calls for shortening - ick)
  • 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs


Directions


  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Add butter, milk, and vanilla.
  4. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter is thick.
  5. Add eggs and beat 30 seconds more.
  6. Bake in greased 9x13 pan for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 

You can find the original recipe here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Melissa! Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment, as always! Congrats on your upcoming little one! And you know...it's cheaper to fly ME out to YOU than vice versa. Plus, I've never been to Pittsburgh before.

    Just sayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Are you kidding?! That would be awesome!

    I was telling my hubby about you and your comment last night and he asked me where you found me. I thought back and couldn't figure it out. Did you used to follow my old blog or something?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts