Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wellness Wednesday - Vaccinations

As our little bambinos head back to school, doctor well-visits ensue.

Since Hannah has a late birthday (she just turned 5 last week), she goes literally right before school starts and every year I think about vaccinations.

When she was an infant, I AGONIZED over vaccinations. Is the MMR going to give her autism? What if she gets sick as a result of the vaccine? I felt like I couldn't win - which in turn helped me to understand delayed vaccinations and those that are spread out.

Each year when this time comes around, I reevaluate my feelings on the necessity of yearly vaccinations and flu shots. Even with all of the "natural" tones my life has been taking over the last couple of years, as of right now, I'm settling comfortably with "pro-vaccine" status.

Why?

Well, I guess my response is, why not? Don't reply to this post with a list of "why nots" PLEASE. I have done a lot of digging and feel educated in the somewhat rare side effects of vaccines and have decided that, for my family  the benefits of vaccines outweigh the risks. 


Some childhood diseases that were once eradicated, seem to be popping up again due to the number of individuals foregoing vaccines for them. The argument that "my child will not get a disease because it's long gone" can't be used. It's "long gone" because we're vaccinating!


Even the flu vaccine, which many people skip, can be beneficial. Why would I put my daughter through fever, chills, and missed school days if I don't have to? Now, don't get me wrong - I really worried about the swine flu vaccine and chose not to get it for anyone in my family. I was adamant that they weren't going to test a new drug on the people I love! But, most of these vaccines have been around for ages and have been well-studied.


One vaccine that does concern me is the chicken pox vaccine - as I heard one can lose his immunity to it over the years, putting people at risk for shingles - which is so much worse than childhood chicken pox. This bothers me. 


On the flip side, I worry about little baby Emma who can't get a flu vaccine and worry about children who have never been vaccinated coming in contact with her - if that should ever happen.


So, I'm settling on vaccinations. I do have concerns, but at this point have decided to move forward. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts