Saturday, November 13, 2010

Scrumptious Saturday - Low Fat Granola - Melissa's Way

Ingredients

8 cups Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats (you can use Old Fashioned)
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup agave nectar (or any sweetener you prefer )
1/2 cup unsweetened all-natural applesauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sliced almonds/walnuts
1 cup raisins

I have been messing with a low-fat granola recipe that satisfies the craving that I have for the full-fat version I've been making for a couple years. It's been a difficult transition for me - because I really love the full-fat version. To Hannah - she prefers the ZERO-fat version. Weird. So, I think I've got it. I still include a little bit of oil and probably a little more sugar than I should have but - the agave doesn't spike your blood sugar, and the honey has antioxidants.

Here's what I did.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Take a two cup measuring cup and add the oil, honey, agave, and applesauce. You'll only dirty one measuring cup for this step :)

Dump the mixture into a large sauce pan and heat until it starts to bubble. Add cinnamon and vanilla and mix well. Remove from heat and add oats and nuts. Stir until thoroughly combined.

Spread evenly between two baking sheets with sides. I prefer to line with parchment.

Bake for about 35 minutes, stirring every ten.

Remove from the oven when granola looks crisp. Let cool. Add raisins or other dried fruit - and eat.

*You can substitute all honey if you don't have agave, add coconut if you like it, and change up the nuts or dried fruit.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts