Monday, January 24, 2011

Money Monday - Hodge Podge•Home Repair/Updates/Etc

We have so many odds and ends that need done around the house (landscaping, attic floor, new light fixtures, refinishing hardwoods). It can be overwhelming financially. I also want to buy bedroom furniture, an entryway bench with storage, and wall art for the entire house....and all new bathroom towels!

So, in order to get this stuff done, we budget a certain amount per month towards home repair/updating. It has really helped me not to feel guilty spending money on that stuff.

Another thing that helps when budgeting for home repairs is - KNOWING WHEN TO CALL A PROFESSIONAL.

On Christmas Eve, I turned on our bathroom light and blue fireworks shot out at me! This was one of those cases that you shell out a few extra bucks for someone who is not going to burn your house (or themselves) down. Luckily, we had a very good electrician who only charged us $30 to fix the issue.


But, when you can do something yourself for cheaper, by all means! Matt just caulked our shower and I'm obsessed with how fresh and clean it looks. Although - please make sure if you do this job, you're safer than my husband.



 But I do think he's pretty cute.



UPDATE ON US:

Our savings goals for the year?

Our fully funded emergency fund should be complete next month and then we'll move on to saving for a car. Hopefully we'll get a decent new-to-us car by the end of the year!

Lastly, for my entertainment - here's the entryway bench I want....
Product Image Entryway Bench with 3 Baskets/Cushions - Black

What are your financial goals for the year?

2 comments:

  1. Love that bench!! Where is it from?
    We are doing some home improvements too. It frustrates me that it takes SO long to save up and get things the way I want them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, if you haven't already, you should look at Craigslist for a bedroom set or any other furniture you are interested in. Eric and I bought a bedroom set for about 75% less than what you would pay at a furniture store. We got a headboard, footboard, dresser with mirror, chest of drawers and 2 night stands. They are really, really nice and in perfect condition!! The set we got is only a year and a half old and the couple was selling it because it didn't fit in the bedroom at their new house. You might end up looking for a couple months, but it's definitely worth it. Of course, just be cautious. :-) P.S. I love you blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts