Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tips And Hints Tuesday - The Witching Hour

Oh, if you have kids, you know what I'm talking about when I say "the witching hour." I refer to it as that time between after school and when your spouse comes home (or bed time.) It's that time when everyone is tired and cranky and hungry. Homework needs done, dinner needs made, kids need bathed and loved on and you're TIRED!

Last night was a prime example of this. My phone was ringing, Hannah was in the tub, dinner was on the stove, Emma's crying and my smoke alarms are blaring. Emma finally calmed down as Hannah ran in the room yelling something. Emma was startled and started screaming again. Hannah, who felt terrible that she made her sister cry, starts bawling too...and there go the smoke alarms again!

I had to stop, take a deep breath and calmly ask Hannah to move out of the way (after giving her hugs and telling her Emma was just cranky) as I grabbed a kitchen chair to one-handedly yank the stupid batteries out of the smoke detector.

Does this ever happen to you? Sometimes, when Matt comes home, I just want to hand both kids to him as soon as he walks in the door and go lay down in my bed and watch Food Network while someone else changes that leaking poopy diaper.

Planning ahead is huge in helping with this area. Sometimes, I'll do all my dinner prepping before I pick up Hannah (chopping, mixing, measuring.) That way, I can focus more on the kids and less on dinner and other things that need done.

This means deciding earlier in the day what you'll eat for dinner and taking meat out of the freezer to thaw. Once you do this, your afternoon will go so much more smoothly. I do my best to have a calm house for Matt when he comes home, and preparing ahead of time helps with that. It doesn't mean that our house is always like Donna Reed's (remember that show??) but it is so much more mellow.

So, what's for dinner tonight? Go ahead and get it started now. Toss it in the crock pot, or simply get your meat out of the freezer, your dishwasher ready to load and your recipe on the counter. You'll thank me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts