Monday, February 28, 2011

Money Monday - Coming Back Around...

It is time...

I've been in a spending habit. I'm not a spender. I'm cheap. Very cheap...like, wear the same clothes I've been wearing since high school cheap. Like, probably spend more in gas than I save by going to 10 different stores for sales cheap...

Just lately -  shopping is...well, fun. We did the whole bedroom remodel thing. It's not like we spent a bundle. We did the entire room - linens, curtains, wall hangings, lamps, and furniture for a low price - and I don't regret it. But - we need to get back to a stricter budget. I just feel better when we're saving a little more.

When we became debt free (except for the house) we stopped doing something that was one of the main strategies used for our success.

PAYING OURSELVES FIRST....well second. We pay God first, but you get the point.

When we were getting out of debt - I would, on the day we got paid, put a huge chunk of money onto our school loans. That way - I couldn't say later in the month that we didn't have the money.

Now that we're trying to save for ourselves, I find excuses - "because I DESERVE it!" I think it's time to change that attitude - though I don't want to. I need to start depositing our money into savings on the day we get paid - no excuses. That will keep us from taking that money later when we want to go out to dinner or buy something for the house when we've already used up the money budgeted for it.

If you want to make a change, make a change. Don't they say, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?" I think it has to get a little uncomfortable.

We have an emergency fund that is just about complete, two cars and a new roof to save for.

So, while I'm totally in love with my new bedroom...


...and getting haircuts...


...and new clothes...

It's time to get serious again.

It was fun while it lasted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts