Saturday, February 12, 2011

Scrumptious Saturday - Best Candy Ever

This past Christmas, a student named Ashley brought me some of the yummiest candy I've ever eaten...and I'm a candy snob! I had to get the recipe.

While I made one of these recipes already - I'm awful at dipping things in chocolate. Please tell me what the trick is!!! I get chocolate everywhere and the Bon Bons were falling apart! Help!

Anyway - here are the recipes that are SURE to please! They're GREAT for Valentine's day and don't have too many ingredients!

Thanks Ashley (and Ashley's mom!)

Graham and Peanut Butter Bon Bon

1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cup crisped rice cereal
12 oz. chocolate

(Ashley's mom uses Trader Joe's "Pound Plus Dark Chocolate" which tasted better than the semisweet chocolate that I used)

Set chocolate aside. Mix remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate for one hour.

Melt chocolate.

Form Crumb Mixture into balls and dip in melted chocolate. Place on waxed paper.

Let cool and set up.

Makes 44-48 bon bons...Ok, I got maybe HALF of this - which is probably why I had such a hard time. I made them huge!! None the less - they were DELISH! Make them...TODAY

Chocolate Fudge - Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup undiluted evaporated milk (or half and half)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup chopped peanuts

Melt chips with evaporated milk in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Whisk in peanut butter until blended. Refrigerate until mixture is firm enough to shape into balls but still soft, about 30 minutes.

Spread peanuts on waxed paper. Shape scant tablespoons of peanut butter mixture into 1 inch balls. Roll in peanuts. Store in refrigerator.

Candied Walnuts

2 1/2 cups walnut halves or pieces
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Place walnuts in a shallow pan. Heat in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Cook sugar, water, cinnamon, and salt to a soft ball stage (236 degrees with a candy thermometer) without stirring. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and nuts. Stir gently until the nuts are well coated and the mixture becomes creamy. Turn out on a greased platter. Separate walnut pieces as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts