Anyone who knows me at all, knows that I like to make my own bread, hamburger buns, and now... BAGELS!
Why though? It does take a long time to do (as I don't have - or want - a bread maker), it's cheaper (but not that much), and it takes a little practice to get down.
Well, for our family it's a better choice because:
1. IT TASTES BETTER! There's nothing like homemade bread from the oven!
2. NO PRESERVATIVES! This is a biggie for us. All three of us have stomach issues after eating processed breads and macaroni. Not so with homemade bread. Also - if you've ever had a loaf of bread that was still soft after a month of sitting on the counter - you know they're putting SOMETHING that just isn't right in it to make it last. A homemade loaf of bread starts to go stale in a couple of days and is done by a week. I don't know what they do to that bread to make it last so long, but I don't want it in my body!
3. IT FILLS YOU UP FASTER! Not quite sure why, maybe it's denser, but you're satisfied after eating it!
4. You can do whatever you want with it! Italian bread, pizza crust, hot pockets, honey oat, rolls, bagels, buns....be as creative as you want! I actually ENJOY kneading the dough!
Here's the bagel recipe I've been asked for. I was surprised at how easy and tasty they were!! I added some crushed rosemary and olive oil to mine.
TWO TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE:
1. Use hotter water than lukewarm when mixing your yeast.
2. 1/2 ounce = 1 tablespoon.
I am so excited! I made my own hand soap. The results yielded over a gallon - and I had to purchase...NOTHING. I had everything in my p...
Lately, the media, news, and election has had me sick to my stomach, and it's just beginning. I feel many different emotions, but main...
It's my 14th anniversary...so I'm gonna gush. You've been warned. I keep it tame as often as I can, but most of the time, I'...
When someone you love enters eternity, leaving you behind, it doesn't matter that they lived a long life. It doesn't matter how long...
Lately, social media is inundated with before and after pictures of everyday women scantily clad, who are following one of a number of...
Photo property of Melissa Terebessy Ingredients: 3 ripe bananas, mashed 1/4 cup canola oil 1/4 cup homemade almond butter (or nu...
Over the last six months, I've done some serious evaluating. Making the decision to become a full-time stay-at-home mom was a difficult ...
Getting back into working out feels so good. But, even a small hiatus makes you feel so weak, so fast. I got in 5 workouts this week. Four w...
It's that time of night where there is nothing but sleep. A time of peace, rest, and recharging. Deep sleep is startled by a brief, but ...
I got the original recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Get Real Meals Cook Book but this recipe has my adaptations Ingredients: 1 1/3 lb...