Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tips and Hints Tuesday - Making Your Own Bread with BAGEL RECIPE!

Anyone who knows me at all, knows that I like to make my own bread, hamburger buns, and now... BAGELS!

Why though? It does take a long time to do (as I don't have - or want - a bread maker), it's cheaper (but not that much), and it takes a little practice to get down.

Well, for our family it's a better choice because:

1. IT TASTES BETTER! There's nothing like homemade bread from the oven!

2. NO PRESERVATIVES! This is a biggie for us. All three of us have stomach issues after eating processed breads and macaroni. Not so with homemade bread. Also - if you've ever had a loaf of bread that was still soft after a month of sitting on the counter - you know they're putting SOMETHING that just isn't right in it to make it last. A homemade loaf of bread starts to go stale in a couple of days and is done by a week. I don't know what they do to that bread to make it last so long, but I don't want it in my body!

3. IT FILLS YOU UP FASTER! Not quite sure why, maybe it's denser, but you're satisfied after eating it!

4. You can do whatever you want with it! Italian bread, pizza crust, hot pockets, honey oat, rolls, bagels, buns....be as creative as you want! I actually ENJOY kneading the dough!

Here's the bagel recipe I've been asked for. I was surprised at how easy and tasty they were!! I added some crushed rosemary and olive oil to mine.

TWO TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE:

1. Use hotter water than lukewarm when mixing your yeast.
2. 1/2 ounce = 1 tablespoon.

ENJOY!

TIP:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts