Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wellness Wednesday - An Expensive Way to Beat Winter Blues

Last December 2010 - Pittsburgh

Last December 2010 - Disney World




I hate Winter. Why do I live in Pittsburgh??

Every year, around this time, I start getting a little down, claustrophobic, anxious....I feel like that gray sky is closing in on me!

Last weekend we were walking around Monroeville Mall and stopped in Brookstone. They have this really cool light. 


It's a "white" light that gradually increases in intensity based on when you set it for in the morning to help make it feel like the sun is coming up in your bedroom - thus making it easier to wake. I want one. I don't get up to an alarm anyway, but it still would be nice to have. But, at $100, it's a luxury!

What are some other...ahem...less expensive ways to boost your spirits?

Here's what works for me:

Spending time with friends - I have some pretty funny friends who make me laugh...a lot. Even chatting on the phone while doing mundane chores can help. 

EXERCISE - this is huge. I always feel better when I get in a little cardio. Even 20 minutes will help. Go out an shovel your driveway. Then you can get your exercise in while getting that annoying task accomplished. 

If it warms up to a remotely reasonable temperature and the sun is out - get outside! (This will save you the $100 cost of buying a lamp, ha ha)

Change things up - Have a picnic in front of a movie at dinner (we always sit at the table together,) have a dance party with the little ones, read a good book, play a game together, rearrange some furniture, search summer vacation spots on the internet...

Warmer days are ahead. A certain 5 year old groundhog fan told me so.


Hang in there and be useful during these yucky days. It won't be long before the blazing sun will have you pining for some cooler weather...but I'm not there yet!!


1 comment:

  1. Another tip: make sure you are getting enough vitamin D. People with low levels of vitamin D are more likely to be depressed.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts