Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Thrifty Thursday - Make your own hand soap. SUPER EASY!!


I am so excited! I made my own hand soap. The results yielded over a gallon - and I had to purchase...NOTHING. I had everything in my possession! Even if you had to buy everything - this much hand soap would cost you around $1 and it's really easy to make - and smells wonderful. This is the perfect way to avoid the health concerns of most hand soaps, OR to use up all those bars you take home from hotels but never use!

Ingredients:
1 bar of soap (I used Trader Joes All Natural Honey Oatmeal Bar)
2 TBSP Glycerin (It's cheap - you can find it in the first aid aisle)
1 gallon water
5-10 drops citrus (or your favorite scent) essential oil *OPTIONAL*
Empty soap dispensers
1 gallon jug to hold soap (mine held white vinegar - and then home made laundry soap.)

1. Grate your bar of soap with a cheese grater. Don't get freaked out people, it's soap.
2. Add to a LARGE soup pot (sans soup) with 1 gallon hot water and glycerin.
3. Slowly heat and stir until soap flakes dissolve. It will be thin.
4. Add essential oil if you want. You really don't need it.
5. Let sit uncovered overnight or 8-10 hours to thicken, it will seem uneven.
6. You can use a mixer or whisk to get an even consistency.
7. Use a spouted measuring glass or funnel to pour soap into containers.

PERFECT, QUICK, EASY, and CHEAP! My favorite!

7 comments:

  1. Just seen this on cafemom. Thank you so much I'm going to try it. Do you know if this would stretch even further if you put it in a foaming pump and dilute it with water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it would for a foaming bottle take oneof those small sample or travel size dish soap containers and fill with soap. Pour into your foaming pump bottle and fill the rest of the way with water. Give a good shake and your good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I just did this with my kids. We had a blast. Got to wait 10 hours and then mix it. We used a new Citris/honeysuckle smelling softsoap. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a bar of Dr.Bronners soap and it didn't thicken. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine looks and feels like pink slime. What did I do wrong? I used caress soap (some berry scent) and the soap turned out all gloppy. We've been using it but it has the tendency to just slide right off your hands into the sink lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened to me as well, I find that the more hot water I add to the soap and stir, the better it gets. Also, you have to let it sit overnight to see how thick/thin it's going to end up being. All in all about 2 1/2 gallons of hot water later, It came out to a non-gloopy consistency. The only thing is, now it's a little watery :/

      Delete
  6. If it doesn't thicken (mine didn't the first time), add a little more glycerin, stir and give it more time.

    Jackie, mine is a little gloppy too. I added a little bit of dish soap to the batch and it seems to make the consistency much better. I do the same with my laundry soap sometimes. I'll add a little regular detergent to give it a boost. When you're avoiding all the chemicals that make these things the perfect consistency, I believe this is what the downside is!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts