Sunday, August 19, 2012

Gluten/Dairy Free Baked Mac & Cheese


Photo property of Melissa Terebessy


I am new to gluten free cooking as we're very recently trying this diet with my daughter - so when I was making mac & cheese for a family gathering, I couldn't leave her out. 

While, you definitely can taste a slight, nutty aftertaste from the cheese-substitute, the texture and taste of this dish is decidedly good and my seven-year-old said it was the best she's ever eaten. It'll do the trick for you!

Please note that when I made this, I was guessing, so I didn't write the recipe down - so the amounts (I'm sorry) are approximate but I'm confident they are close. When I make it again, I will tweak it if need be! Mac & Cheese is flexible anyway!

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups dried brown rice fusilli pasta (cooked with salt and a little olive oil added to prevent sticking). Then set aside
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1tsp corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup Daiya Cheddar Shreds (can be found locally at Giant Eagle, Gluten free markets, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods)
  • 3/4 cup original almond milk (or any dairy free milk you choose)
Topping:
  • 1 slice brown rice bread (or any gluten free bread)
  • Small handful Daiya Cheddar shreds
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Pulse topping ingredients together in blender or food processor and set aside.

Most important tool: A WHISK 

  • Heat olive oil, salt, and corn starch in a small sauce pan on the stove until thickened  WHISK CONSTANTLY. You have to babysit this dish for the best consistency of the sauce!
  • Slowly add almond milk and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 2 minutes while whisking. Turn heat down and let simmer for 5 more minutes WHILE STILL WHISKING. You can walk away from this for a minute, but come back quickly to stir. Mixture should thicken.
  • Slowly add cheese and whisk  until thick and smooth. Feel free to taste to see if you want to add more cheese or spice.
  • Add your previously cooked rice noodles and fold cheese mixture in until noodles are coated. 
  • I poured my mixture into 3 individual ramekins and topped with bread crumb topping. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden on top.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts