Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Gluten/Dairy/Egg Free Chocolate Cupcakes


Photo property of Melissa Terebessy




These are good. REALLY good.

Our daughter had a birthday party today and my husband looked at me and said, "What are you going to send her with?" Sunday afternoon, two hours before the party, and I'm a newbie to gluten free cooking. The new gluten free market near us is closed on Sundays and I looked at him like a deer in headlights.

WHAT WAS I GOING TO SEND HER WITH??

I asked her if peanut butter cookies were okay. I have that one down. She said she wanted cake if the other kids were having cake...Ugh. Okay - here goes nothing.

So after tasting the batter of the recipe I followed, I altered the batch and was PLEASED with the results. Texture and taste were EXACTLY like a chocolate cupcake. I need to work on the icing, but it worked.

Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup Bob's GF Biscuit/Baking Mix (I will try Pamela's next time)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup (or a little less) sugar 
3/4 cup (or a little less) cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup cooking oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup almond milk
1tsp baking soda

Optional:
1/2 cup of mini dairy free chocolate chips added to dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients. (Haven't tried this yet!

Mix your dry ingredients and then fold in the (mixed) wet ingredients with a rubber spatula.

Add to greased or paper-lined muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes based on your oven.

When cooled, add icing. I will post an icing recipe when I have one I'm confident in. For this recipe, I used coconut oil, powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond milk for consistency. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it was okay.

ENJOY! You won't miss flour in this recipe!

1 comment:

  1. Melissa - Just want to tell you your blog is so inspiring. I so want to try the monthly meal plan and also the homemade hand soap - thinking I may make this for gifts for Christmas. I too need to work hard to replenish savings that has been dwindled down. Thanks for the inspiration. You are eating healthy too - which is super. Keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts