Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Easy Way To Memorize Scripture


video
This video may not work on some phones. I'm working on fixing that!


We always say grace before we eat dinner together as a family. I guess it became so routine for our family that it kind of started to feel less meaningful. My kids were reciting the standard "God is good...God is great...." prayer with their mouths full of food.



So a couple years ago, I started choosing a Bible verse a month that we recite together as a family before we eat dinner. This is our third year doing this, and we've adapted and changed along the way...and maybe even skipped a month or two, but as of now, we have learned over 25 different Bible verses with little to no effort. I did this as much for myself as for them, and it's been awesome to be able to recall these verses when we need comfort or direction.

Year 1 (2014) - We created a large picture drawing with the scripture, and the kids took turns holding it as we recited it. I saved them all on 12x12 paper. The kids enjoyed drawing and creating the new verse each month, but they fought over who got to hold it at dinner so we have made some adjustments. Pinterest has a lot of great artwork ideas.

Year 2 (2015) - I used note cards. I made one for each child at the beginning of each month and it sat at their place setting at dinner. When the month was over, we would tape the verse to their bedroom doors. At the end of the year, I made a book for each child that sits on their dressers. 

Year 3 (2016) - We are using the same format as year two, but memorizing larger chunks of Scripture by adding on a verse or two each month, and reviewing the previous month occasionally. Right now, we're doing     Philippians 4.

I try to choose verses that encourage us as a family. They are mostly related to being kind, watching our words and actions, and remembering God's greatness and readily-available peace.

It's not drudgery here and the benefits are so awesome. This might not work for every family, and it's just something we do that is simple, so I thought I'd share.

Here are some of the examples of verses we've done. These are some we did in 2015:


Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3

For God has not given us a Spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Be on your guard. Stand firm in faith. Be courageous. Be strong. Do everything in love. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight O Lord my Rock and My Redeemer. Psalm 19:14.

I am the Resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never die. John 11:25-26

Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps. Each word a gift. Ephesians 4:29

Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. Matthew 7:12

So do not fear for I am with you. Do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.       Isaiah 41:10

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and future. Jeremiah 29:11

For a child is born to us, a Son is given to us. The government will rest on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

I hope this is as encouraging to you as it is for our family. In a world where our minds are constantly filled with the negative, here's a chance to do the opposite. Let me know if you try it, or what works for your family!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts