Thursday, May 12, 2016

Melissa's Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

*Gluten Free* *Dairy Free* *Healthy sugar alternatives*



Hannah shaking a batch of Chia Pudding!
I've been trying to find a good recipe for Chia Pudding for about a year. They all seem to have too much liquid and not enough sweetness to satisfy my sweet tooth. I created my own recipe that I love! Just remember the word "pudding" is used loosely. The texture of chia seeds when soaked in liquid becomes slightly gel-like. They thicken whatever liquid they're put into and they are a virtual powerhouse of nutrients.

And now, you can get bags of them anywhere. I buy mine at Aldi. I throw chia seeds into smoothies, homemade granola/bars...anything. No one notices and they nutrient benefits are awesome.

Chia seeds are high in fiber and protein, Omega 3 fatty acids, calcium and antioxidants. As far as tossing them into recipes, it's a no-brainer. I haven't tried to thicken soups or stews with them...I would be wary of the texture it creates, but a lot of people do it. As far as baking with them, I do it all the time and no one notices.

That said, I've tried recipes for Chia Pudding and I'm going to stick with the one I created that I'll share with you today.

One 1/2 cup serving is 175 calories, 6 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, basically no refined sugar and it'll fix that sweet craving.

Melissa's Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

1/2 cup 30 calorie almond milk
1.5 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp trivia baking blend (you can use more honey or another sweetener to your liking but it will change the calorie numbers)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
dash cinnamon
dash vanilla

Feel free to add in fruit, nuts, yogurt etc.

Mix all ingredients in a container and stir/cover and shake well. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or two so pudding has time to thicken...Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts