Tuesday, August 30, 2016

What's cooking' over here! "Mostly" Paleo Zucchini Bread. Gluten Free

It's our first week back to school and one thing, among many, stands out to me, and that's HOW MUCH I LIVE IN THE KITCHEN during the school year.

Maybe I'm a little too "crunchy" for many of you, but I struggle with how much junk food and sugar kids consume daily. I feel like I can never have little treats for them because they're getting so much junk that's out of my control. The summer is nice, because I get to be the one to give them the occasional treat.

While I've learned to let a lot of this go, because I have no choice, I'm loving that at school this year, parents send in snacks for their own individual kids instead of for the class. .

So while sometimes I'm just like the next mom and open a bag of pretzels, I really try to have healthy but delicious food around for my kids to enjoy, that also nourishes their body. Not perfection, but my best.

So I've made some new recipes lately that have been a success, and I want to share them with you!

"Mostly" Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Above is the link to the original recipe, but I made a lot of adaptations so here's my version of this delicious and nutritious bread (that could double as a cake).
    INGREDIENTS:

    1 ¼ cups almond flour

    ¼ cup cocoa powder

    ¼ teaspoon salt

    ½ teaspoon baking soda

    2 large eggs

    2 tablespoons coconut oil

    ¼ cup honey

    1 tsp vanilla extract

    2 tbsp xylitol (or other sweetener of your choice/or omit)

    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (plus extra for topping)

    1 cup zucchini, grated & extra water squeezed out well

    Elena uses a food processor for many of her recipes. Because they are paleo, some of the coarser flours benefit from being ground further by the blades. I like to pulse the dry ingredients with the zucchini to make it finer too...I don't love the larger strands of zucchini in my bread, but it's a preference. Pulse in your wet ingredients well, and then stir in your chocolate chips.

    I used a greased 9 inch round cake pan and baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, less than she suggests...and it comes out perfectly moist and not dried out like too many gluten free baked goods!

    I pulled it out and sprinkled a handful of mini chocolate chips on top and after a few minutes, used the back of a spoon to spread them around, making an easy glaze on top. It cooled on the counter for a couple hours before the girls ate it for their after-school snack.

    It was a hit! Minimal added sugar in the added chocolate chips. You can omit those to make this completely free of refined sugar. Super high in protein and heart healthy almond flour. Um, hello veggies in cake! Honey and coconut oil are also powerhouses for nutrients and antioxidants. 

    This is a recipe that your kids will eat, and you'll feel GOOD about them eating it! One of my kids even had it for breakfast this morning, thinking she was eating junk. We both win!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts